Thursday, October 18, 2012

Wednesday Wor - Wait it's Thursday

All day today I thought for no logical reason that it was Wednesday.  I did do our Wednesday things yesterday even, which means going to the library and the grocery store.  It probably had something to do with that I spent a total of FIVE hours yesterday doing online orientation things for the new online school that the girls are attending.  Five hours.  Not because I am not tech savvy - it just takes that long.  The orientation had informative videos and review sessions so that I could answer questions at the end of each segment proving that I comprehended what they presented and in turn was capable of processing and utilizing the information.  To be fair, I actually did learn a lot and understand this system far better than the previous online school that Songbird attended.  I am excited about it, and pleased that it engages the students in a far more comprehensive manner.  That being said, at no point do I want to ever have to sit through a five hour orientation again.

Today - which is Thursday

As a group we made Halloween collages on construction paper with old magazine pictures.  We did this in a similar manner last year as well.  We always enjoy looking at the pictures, though this year there was some contention on technique. 

Starlet decided that it was best to cover the entire paper with glue before the applying pictures so that it was prepared.  And then laid across her paper so that she could reach the pictures in the middle of the table. 

Snickers decided that though collages traditionally involve covering the "base" paper in pictures, ideally layers of pictures, that since we were using a black paper as a base, that his pictures had to be individually centered with vast amounts of space around them.  "They are floating in outer space like aliens.  If you want, we can draw stars," was his reaction when I tried to explain that we should add more pictures, and that the goal ultimately was to cover the black space.

Smash was delighted by the crinkling noise of the magazine pages, as well the shrieks of his siblings when they realized that he was crumpling the next picture they planned on using.  Other than that he couldn't see what all the fuss was about.  The paper really didn't taste all that great, and glue from the glue sticks, despite the fun color, was undesirably sticky on his fingers.

Sunshine and Songbird have been down this road many many times before, so without much direction they selected a theme they wanted their pictures centered around and set to work cutting and gluing.  It may not have been their favorite choice, but apparently was better than chores or technical schoolwork.

Songbird loves to cook and bake, and has a real knack with it.  She did her first attempt at making Zucchini bread today - and was a stellar success.

Sunshine was able to start her first full official day with the online school today. She completed a few lessons last night, and therefore knew what to anticipate.  She was so excited to get started this morning that after coming in the bedroom for a good morning giggle fest she announced that she was going to go get started on her work, even before breakfast.  Ultimately she completed both science and social studies lessons before she convinced that she needed to fuel that brain power.

Starlet and Snickers practiced cutting and pasting from their work book pages (which is what led us to creating the collages).  Starlet was surprisingly good at cutting, which is likely because she has had so much practice... on hair - Barbie's, hers, and her big sisters.  Starlet also worked on a book she wrote about herself - in her self portrait she even added fingers and toes, including in the correct amounts - verifying on herself first.  She can write words if you spell them for her or help her sound them out, and if she isn't sure what letter, she verifies it by using it phonetically with a different word.  I am all sorts of impressed with her development, and hope that she waits at least another year or two before she decides that as she has always suspected, she truly is smarter than me.

Snickers decided he was not up for school today, but did start off the day making his own peanut butter and jelly sandwich for breakfast. He also insisted that I take a video of his step by step how to process, including eating the first bite.  I know for a fact this child is not familiar with the wonders of You Tube, and am slightly worried about when he becomes so.

Though avid sports fans, and even willing sports participants, we don't always get the physical activity that should each day.  I try to help increase this by making sure we have plenty of the Wii games available that make us move.  We tried Zumba for the first time today - whew! It definately makes you sweat. 

And in the words of Ice Cube - "Today was a good day."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cauldron burn and cauldron bubble...do your homework or you're in trouble!

Pages