Tuesday, October 23, 2012

4 little pumpkins

Just so we are clear, it is highly unlikely I will ever post anything Pinterest worthy on this page.  As in we discover that eating copious amounts of therapeutic brownies is good for you likely.  Once upon a time I was creative and did neat little things that were original and unique.  Then I had five kids, a semi permanent case of Mommy - brain, and a supportive role in my husband's business.  So my relationship with Pinterest became a love/hate with mostly hate deal.  I love the ideas and pictures but hate how it makes me feel like my status as a mom is somewhat lower than slacker and that everyone is "perfect" but me. 

This weekend we went on our annual "Pumpkin Walk" trip.  The "Pumpkin Walk" is where local groups such as schools and businesses design scenes with painted pumpkins around a designated theme.  We go every year - last year we went three times - and always enjoy it. 

Afterwards we purchased our pumpkins, along with donuts and cider... from the grocery store.  We have also done this abominable thing every year here since moving here, because there are no farms within a reasonable drive.  I should probably add that just because there is no farm involved does not mean I am going to miss out on pumpkin picking pictures; so the children are forced to pose in the display at the front of the store with their pumpkins.  Yes, actually in the display.  During store hours where people might see.  Surprisingly I get little resistance when they are forced to do this.  I figure either they think that the lack of resistance will get the torture completed faster, or that they are using the time to develop an intricate and diabolical plot involving trigger switches, pumpkin avalanches, and my person.  It is probably the later.  I may have another year, tops, before this is no longer an option.

A miracle happened - we carved our pumpkins on the same day we purchased them.  Before November.  For the first time since 2005.  Shhh....no one can tell when you mix the picture order up a bit.  Don't spill the seeds!

Though Songbird and Sunshine put in a valiant effort, in between squeals and shudders of disgust, I ended up scrapping all of the pumpkins out. This is why our pumpkin purchases of up to 8 pumpkins in the past has dropped sharply down to 5 this year.  It's hard to remain festive or keep the peace in the household when you spend an hour with pumpkin guts up to your elbows. Thank goodness for LED lights, because recent cold snaps at night made the pumpkins somewhat fragile and a good scrapping might have done them in entirely.  Smash had no interest in any of the process  and entertained himself by trying to consume the remaining fruit in our yard.  This did not entertain me, and with scrapping and gross parts done, Songbird took over.  She has proved to have a knack with it and next year she may end up with the much coveted pumpkin carving dremmel.  Especially if I can catch a clearance sale.

"This is Halloween! This is Halloween! Pumpkins scream in the dead of night! "
                                                                                                               -Nightmare Before Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cauldron burn and cauldron bubble...do your homework or you're in trouble!

Pages